13 Amazing Facts About Mobile App Development

A stack of smartphones & tablets.

Since the advent of the smartphone, mobile apps have quickly taken over areas of life such as communication, entertainment, shopping, and more. For businesses, mobile app development is becoming a necessity to keep up with consumers’ needs. And with the current state of mobile apps, there’s no telling what the future may hold. But, here’s an idea of where things are at now:

1. Tablet owners spend nearly three times more on apps than those who don’t own a tablet. With all of time spent on tablets & smartphones alike, app designers have a much higher chance of turning users into customers.

2. Mobile apps are used more than websites. The average smartphone user spends 90% of their mobile time in apps, with just the remaining 10% spent surfing the web.

3. Mobile apps can be developed on multiple platforms. For example, app design varies greatly between iOS and Android devices as they have different operating systems with multiple programming languages. Developing mobile apps on multiple platforms is essential to reaching the largest potential audience and maximizing earning potential.

4. Android has almost 1.5x more apps than the App Store. As of early 2021, Android users could choose from nearly 3.5 million apps while Apple/iOS users could choose from just 2.2 million apps.

facts about mobile app customers

                                        image source

5. Half of the applications available on the App Store have never been downloaded. It is estimated that roughly 1 million of the apps available to iOS users have never once been downloaded. But in a sea of over 2 million, it's easy to see why.

6. Thousands of apps are released daily. With over 100,000 Android and 30,000 iOS apps released each month, over 4000 apps are released each day.  

7. Android is the most popular mobile operating system in the world. Android controls the mobile OS market with a 73% market share. Combined with Apple's iOS, the two control 99% of the global market share.

8. Ad spending is out of control. In 2019, just under $60 billion USD was spent driving app downloads. By 2022, that number is expected to be just under $120 billion USD.

9. Mobile shopping apps are the future. Over 50% of shoppers prefer shopping on mobile apps rather than mobile or desktop websites. 

10. Most people only use a handful of apps.  Despite there being over 5 million apps to choose from, most people use just 10 per day on average.  

11. Facebook is winning the app race. Despite Google owning the most apps on the market, Facebook has the most popular apps both by daily download (Facebook Messenger) and daily active users (WhatsApp), as well as 3 of the other top 5 most popular apps.

12. There were over 200 billion app downloads last year. With roughly 218 billion downloads last year, that's almost 28 per person!

13.  Apps have a short lifespan. Nearly 80% of users never use an app  again after 72 hours of installation. 

Good app design for NZ businesses is more important than ever to deal with multiple platforms, differentiate a business from the competitors, and give users a great experience.

Activate Design has a firm understanding of the application design and development process and can help you maximise the opportunities this new exciting media has to offer your business. To know more, visit our smartphone app development page, or contact us now.

You might also like:

Posted in Mobile Apps